Children of Olympus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Empty Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face

Post by Lupperdoodle Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 am

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_m33fbbzFA61r5tdn1

The sun had just about gone down for the day, dinner had come and gone, but lights-out wasn't for a while.  Erik sat with his back to the setting sun, at the same table he'd been designated to.  Ah, the unclaimed, alone as always.  In his hands, the boy shuffled a deck of cards, every so often placing them down on the table and flipping over a few.  Different cards. Every time.  That was good, wasn't it?  Never the same pattern twice.  Once he'd gone through that quite a bit, he started dealing out for a game of solitaire with himself.  He was just flipping over the last card when someone sat down across from him.  He looked up, giving a nod of greeting, then flipped his attention back to his cards.  Perfect.  Ace of Clubs out on the first draw.
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Drachmas : 23997

Back to top Go down

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Empty Re: Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face

Post by moon Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:50 am

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face 2safqxxCan't read my, no he can't read my poker face Im3HGDC

Carter James Fisher
Carter was hungry, as most teenage boys often were. He was still sweaty from a basketball tournament with his friends, but starving. He hadn't bothered with changing out of his smelly clothing, so he was still clad in a white and blue cutoff with black basketball shorts. Jogging into the Mess Hall, he reached for an apple and took a large bite out of it, food still in it mouth as he walked over to a table. Carter didn't really know the camper across the way, but guessed it to be someone who hadn't been of interest to him. A bit of apple still in his mouth, he asked, "Whatcha playing?" After swallowing he crossed his arms across his chest and looked at the guy, raising an eyebrow. "And what are you doing here so late? I mean - I'm starving, obviously, but - " He paused, taking another bite from the ruby apple. "You don't look like you're doing much of anything."
moon
moon

Drachmas : 19372

Quester
Name: Amelia Parson
Godly Parent: Athena
Health:
Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Left_bar_bleue100/100Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Empty Re: Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face

Post by Lupperdoodle Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 am

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_inline_n8213kTHvb1ssoiqt

Erik was shifting a full set of cards from one side of his set-up to the other by then.  "Solitaire," He said.  The question was direct, so was his answer.  Flip over a Ace of Diamonds.  Move a two.  A three.  "Munchkins.  Invaded the cabin.  Might as well avoid them for an hour or so,"  He glanced up at the other boy.  An apple was an interesting choice.  "Just a time-passer, really."
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainykinz Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:08 am

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Eleano11
Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face 5a2850075e03432e9fb9b89b5e6a428e
Outfit

Eleanor hadn't been one to leave a dirty plate on the table since she moved to France. At her school, learning ladylike behavior included always cleaning up after yourself, and others if necessary, so when she'd noticed the cluttered tables, she'd stayed to clean them up. She didn't wash the dishes, since the idea of lava and harpies was a pretty strong counter to practicing good manners, but she collected any stuff left on the table and dealt with it. It wasn't that the kids were especially messy, but there were a lot of demigods here, and Ella didn't have anything better to do, anyway. She was actually disappointed when she finished putting away everything she could. Now what? she wondered, sitting down on one of the benches. Too tired to train, and that sunset's really nice. I could bring a book out here. Movement caught her eye and she turned to look at someone playing cards a few tables down. Eleanor sighed and pushed her hair out of her face, twisting her head back to stare at the fading orange light. It's just like dad used to do, and I've got plenty of practice keeping my face plain. Might as well. She faced the other demigods again and walked over. Eleanor sat at the table across from the card player one, crossing her legs and instinctively keeping her posture in check. "I'll play," she offered, her tone betraying her boredom. "It's just Patience, right?"

((i was debating invading here or making a new topic and lup said it was okay to just invade so hai? <3 sorreh))
Rainykinz
Rainykinz

Drachmas : 18561

Back to top Go down

Post by moon Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face 2safqxxCan't read my, no he can't read my poker face Im3HGDC

Carter James Fisher
Carter took a few more bites from his apple as the guy went on. He didn't know how to play solitaire, but it sounded boring. Crinkling his nose at the other teenager's word choice, he repeated, "Munchkins?" There weren't many people in his cabin, so the boy never had to worry about them bothering him. Plus, Carter was one of the oldest of Nike's children (at least at camp), so he had seniority over the younger 'munchkins'. He was getting bored of the guy, who obviously didn't care he was there. The demigod was tempted to leave, until he noticed another person joining the table.

Carter was just as fond of pretty girls as the next male, and opted to stay and wait it out, even if it was just for a few more minutes. "Hm, I'll play too," he stated, finishing off his snack. "But you're gonna have to teach me how to play." Running his hand through a set of curls, the boy exhaled, grabbing the apple core and tossing it into the nearest trash with a flick of his wrist.
moon
moon

Quester
Health:
Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Left_bar_bleue100/100Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupperdoodle Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_inline_n820lwRNJA1ssoiqt

"You know. Younglings," He'd managed to get a full stack of the clubs before he heard a new voice. "Solitaire," he corrected, flipping up an ace of diamonds. "It's uh, not multiplayer," He looked at the newcomer, a girl, then to the boy he'd already seen. The cards all went back into the deck. He shuffled them a bit. "Name a game? Black Jack, BS, Poker?" The deck was set on the table again, and Erik went through the different poker games in his head. "Anything. You pick."
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainykinz Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_m39tb5Ej8N1rurpq2o1_500
Outfit

Eleanor was caught off guard. She'd never actually played the game before herself, just looked over her dad's shoulder when she was young. "Sorry," she said slowly, keeping her voice monotonous. She glanced at the other guy who had volunteered to play. "I don't care." Eleanor doubted she'd know how to play whatever her chose anyway. "Oh, what's that one where you have to keep a straight face?" she suggested, remembering how her dad would scold her for giggling at his cards when he was trying so hard to have them remain a secret from his buddies. Eleanor briefly wondered if he still played card games like that. She carefully tugged her cardigan off of her shoulders and folded it in her lap. It was late, but she liked when the slight chill in the air settled on her skin, and it wasn't a particularly cold night, anyway. "Doesn't really matter, though. Up to you." She shrugged and looked expectantly up at the guy who had eaten the apple.

erik is so done
Rainykinz
Rainykinz

Back to top Go down

Post by moon Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Carter James Fisher
Carter nodded as he explained 'munchkins' in lamer terms. He frowned as the guy deemed  Solitaire a single player game, wondering if it was even worth his time to stay around. Once the girl came into the picture though, he was rethinking that. He definitely had time to play some card game. Hearing the games being listed off, the boy exhaled; he wasn't very familiar with many of them. Sure, he had played a watered down version of poker before, but that wasn't enough experience for him to try. "Poker?" the teenager asked, after the girl commented on the 'straight - faced' game. Most of the time poker had serious and reserved players. Personally, Carter didn't see himself as a very reserved or serious person. "Up to me? Wow, I feel so privileged," he commented, a smirk fixing itself onto his lips. "Poker, then?" The demigod knew enough about poker, and hoped it would be enough to allow him to avoid looking like an idiot.
moon
moon

Quester
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupperdoodle Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_inline_n821so1Kw91ssoiqt

Erik nodded as the boy named the correct game. At least he was slightly competent. "Poker it is, then." And so the cards were shuffled, two, three times. Just to be sure. Which one was good for beginners? Five-Card Draw. Five cards dealt, right off the bat. Look at 'em all, bet how you wanted. Wait. "One-fifty each. White is one," He pulled the poker set out of the backpack beside him, not caring that they'd think him crazy. Each of them got ten white chips. "Red, five," Four of those, "Blue is ten," two of those went out, "Green is twenty-five," Four there. He closed his box up, pushing it aside. "Two in the pot to play," He dealt out five cards to everyone, face down. "Questions?"
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazimu Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Shannon Gallagher
Bored and running low on the energy to do anything too active, Shannon had put her time into strolling around camp looking for something relaxing she could do, that wouldn't take much physical effort. She had quickly given up on that search and decided to go try and get food at the Dining Pavilion. Then that went down the drain, as there were three people sitting at one of the tables talking, who would notice her, and campers weren't supposed to get food from the Pavilion unless it was dinner, lunch or breakfast hours.

This was deemed as an uncharacteristically unlucky day, until Shannon noticed the one boy take out a box of cards and then, surprisingly, poker chips. She grinned slightly, deciding to try and turn her luck around. Walking over to the trio, she got within earshot in time to hear the boy handing out the chips ask for questions, to which she replied casually, "Yea, can I join or am I too late?" She flashed a smile at the three, hoping they'd let her join in on their game.

Gazimu
Gazimu
Lord of the Bathroom

Drachmas : 19499

https://childrenofolympusrp.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainykinz Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:53 pm

((I DON'T KNOW WHY I THOUGHT IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE'S TURN TO POST I AM SO SORRY))

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_mi3mfeekYh1rh5woro1_500
Outfit

Eleanor dipped her head. "Right, poker, sorry," she corrected herself. Do I know how to play poker? She gathered the chips and cards that the first guy had allotted to her and examined them carefully. The guy's explanation made some sense, but it didn't help alleviate her confusion much. "The chips are just for betting, then? What do you actually... do?" Eleanor knew she probably looked stupid, but she'd never been allowed to play card games like this before and she'd rather make herself out to be an idiot from the beginning then let them discover it later. Eleanor heard a voice and looked up. Another girl had approached, and her accent was mildly surprising. She knew demigods came from all over the world, but she hadn't actually heard that many accents other than her own subtle one in her few weeks here so far. It was almost comforting. "I don't think we've started yet," she replied with a shrug, glancing between the two guys for confirmation. Had they started? Eleanor couldn't tell. Poker was confusing.

Rainykinz
Rainykinz

Back to top Go down

Post by moon Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Carter James Fisher
Carter took the colored chips and put them in towers, confused as to why the guy had a poker set just lying around. Did he play cards that often? That was just sad. Collecting his cards, he tried to remember how many each color stood for. He'd figure it out. As another girl walked over, he returned the smile, only passively. "Yeah, the chips are for if you think your hand is good," he responded, nodding as he tapped the table with his free hand. That was about all he knew on the subject of poker. If you think you're good, great, but if not, don't bet. Glancing over at the first girl, he smiled, his ice blue eyes twinkling. "No, we haven't started," Carter added, exhaling as he finished stacking his chips in color coordinated locations. "I'm Carter Fisher, by the way." His eyes scanned the faces of his fellow campers, wondering if they would be up to sharing their names or not. Hopefully the guy with all the cards would be able to enlighten them more on the game, otherwise the demigod doubted he'd do very well.
moon
moon

Quester
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupperdoodle Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:39 am

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_inline_n821ub4zSK1ssoiqt

Erik tried not to look too irritated. Looking irritated was rude, especially when people were confused. But he couldn't help it; how did one not know what to do? He opened his mouth to explain, but then another girl showed up. "Yeah. The more the merrier," He pulled out a set of chips for her, then dealt out a hand. He didn't wait for her to sit before he went into an explanation. "Five cards make a hand. Player with the best hand each round wins. Lowest hand is the high card, meaning whatever the most valuable card in your hand is. Value goes up from two to Ace. One pair beats the high card, two pair beats that. Three of a kind beats two pair, straight, or all five cards in an order like 2 3 4 5 6, beats that. A flush, or five cards of the same suit, beats the straight, and a full house, or three of a kind plus one pair, beats that, and four of a kind beats the full house. And the best hand is a straight flush, which is five cards of the same suit in order," He spoke at a steady pace, letting the two take in that information, "Before we start the round, look at your cards. You can trade in up to four to get a better hand. Then we'll bet until no one puts out more and we'll show our hands. Make sense?" It had better make sense, that was the best way Erik knew to explain it. Then he looked at the boy, Carter, who'd just introduced himself. It was important to follow suit. "My name's Mitchell Apelton, but call me Erik."
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazimu Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Shannon Gallagher
Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face QKk3mHT
Shannon grinned and took a seat at the table, slipping on a pair of shades she had while the guy explained the rules of poker. She already knew all the rules, so she didn't really listen, just looked at her hand blankly wondering if she wanted to make any changes to what she had. "My shades will help my poker face" she mumbled, mostly to herself. It wasn't really true, since Shannon had learned to hold a poker face a long time ago without sunglasses. She just wanted to wear them right now.

Gazimu
Gazimu
Lord of the Bathroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainykinz Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_mdqyujvmRr1rw1mux
Outfit

"Thanks." Eleanor was finding it difficult to understand why people played poker. It seemed unnecessarily complicated. So many different card combinations, and was it really just luck? Why did it matter whose cards lined up right if the only deciding factor was who happened to get them in the right order? Whatever. Maybe there's more to it, Eleanor thought. She still didn't really get it, but she didn't care about winning anyway, so she nodded when the guy asked if it made sense. Eleanor wasn't sure how else to respond. He clearly was fed up with explaining. She raised an eyebrow slightly as one of the guys introduced himself at Carter, and the first guy Erik. Carter appeared to be in a better mood than Erik, what with his smile and Erik's impatience towards their lack of poker skills. "Eleanor," she said after a second of hesitation, looking down at her cards. Eleanor noticed that the other girl didn't say her name, and out of the corner of her eye she saw her putting on sunglasses. What? It's night, there's no need for... oh. Right, poker faces, she realized. Good. I can do that. Plenty of practice. Eleanor pursed her lips a bit and turned the corners of her mouth upwards in a sort of half-smile. "Is that everything, then? Let's start."

Rainykinz
Rainykinz

Back to top Go down

Post by moon Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Carter James Fisher
Carter looked from his cards to the chips he had stacked, wondering if he actually understood poker. No, he didn't really. When the first guy started explaining, the teenager found himself only half listening, the topic suddenly becoming dull and boring. Something about pairs, trading and numbers. Whatever, he'd be fine, at least, he hoped so. How hard could it really be, though? Carter raised an eyebrow as Erik introduced himself, wondering how one gets 'Erik' out of 'Mitchell'. He glanced over at the other girl, who hadn't introduced herself, as she grabbed a pair of sunglasses. The demigod didn't need them, after all, he wasn't one to show emotion anyways. As the next girl, Eleanor, introduced herself, he simply nodded down at his cards. He noted her half-smile, and agreed with her statement. Despite his dislike towards the rules, he didn't want to be eaten by harpies because of a game of poker. "Yeah, let's start," he called, looking expectantly at Erik to begin trading, or whatever it was they were supposed to do.
moon
moon

Quester
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupperdoodle Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:40 pm

*NoGifCauseLazy*

Erik cast a sideways glance at the girl. Sunglasses. Really. Whatever, if she thought that'd help... It wasn't even really necessary for the game anyway, as long as you had a good hand or knew how to bluff. Right. He glanced at his own hand, giving it a bored expression. It was a good hand, almost great, really, but it could do better. He flipped down one card and slid it to the bottom of the remaining deck, then drew another. A little better, but his facial expression didn't change. "Anyone else? Or start the betting," He said, looking around the table. He wondered how bad off everyone else was for a moment, absent-mindedly playing with a stack of chips as he waited.

Raiv pm'd the hands~ AUTHENTICITY
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazimu Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:30 pm

Shannon Gallagher
Shannon took a glance at her cards and held back an audible sigh. They weren't technically that bad, but there were definitely some changes to be made for any chance to win the hand. She slipped three of the cards out of her hand and put them back in the deck, and then drew three more in their place. Stuffing them into her hand without looking at them yet, Shannon glanced around at the other players, probably the only realistic threat was Erik, since he actually knew how to play, the other two would only win by pure luck and confusion. "Shannon, by the way" she said at last, addressing the question a little late.

Gazimu
Gazimu
Lord of the Bathroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainykinz Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:00 am

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face Tumblr_mi5gt7w0Gj1rh5woro1_250
Outfit

Eleanor didn't bother making changes to her cards. She wouldn't have known a winning hand from crappy cards, anyway. She shook her head. "I'm fine. You- uh, Carter?" Eleanor glanced at the guy, who she was fairly sure was the only one who hadn't exchanged cards yet. While waiting they all waited for a response, she decided to double check the betting part of the game. "Is there a starting bet?" She cautiously slid two chips forward of the lower kind, looking at everyone else's faces to see if she had made some obvious mistake. Hadn't this Erik kid said something about that? "Is that right?" Eleanor bit her lip.  "Sorry, I'm not usually this clueless. Never played cards before," she admitted, chuckling a bit in spite of herself. Not ladylike enough, was it? Eleanor registered Shannon introducing herself and nodded. "Uh, where are you from, Shannon?" Eleanor asked quietly. She wanted to keep the talking to a minimum, but she couldn't help be curious. She'd never heard that kind of accent before, though she'd heard several similar ones.

Rainykinz
Rainykinz

Back to top Go down

Post by moon Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:31 am

Carter James Fisher
Carter looked down at his hand and sighed, disappointed in their lack of greatness. Taking three cards from his hand, he switched them out, replacing them with new ones from the deck. He watched as Shannon, the sunglasses girl, introduced herself. Under the table, he tapped his heel against the floor boards, his ADHD getting to him. "Yeah, I'm good now," he responded with a slow nod, smiling over at Eleanor. He didn't really know if they started betting yet, but he'd leave that to Erik to explain. He wasn't exactly a poker playing master, not even close. As the girl continued speaking, Carter raised an eyebrow, wondering if people normally talked this much when playing poker. He didn't think so, so he stayed silent.
moon
moon

Quester
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupperdoodle Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Erik observed the others as they all traded in cards. Bad round, it seemed, for everyone. He nodded to Eleanor as she slid her starting bet in, "That's right. Two in the pot for starters." He slid in his own starting two white chips, casting a quick glance around to make sure everyone put theirs in. Then Erik picked up a red chip, playing with it a bit in his hands before he put it in. Out of turn, but he wasn't going to bother explaining the technical rules of the betting rounds without showing it first. "Now, I raised it by five," he explained for the rookies' benefit, "You can either call my bet and put five more in, raise my bet by whatever, or fold your hand." He cast another glance around, making sure they got the idea. "We show our hands when everyone calls."
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazimu Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Shannon Gallagher
Shannon nodded at Erik as he explained, remaining quiet because she already knew the rules of poker. He put in his own chips and raised, and Shannon followed suit, adding two more reds and a green, just for kicks. "You guys are going to be pros at this by the time we finish." she said, smiling at the two who seemed extremely confused at the moment. She focused only on the girl afterwards to reply to her question, "Newfoundland" she chirped, her accent making it come out as 'newfinlun'. "It's part of Canada, pretty nice place."

Gazimu
Gazimu
Lord of the Bathroom

Back to top Go down

Post by moon Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Carter James Fisher
Carter nodded at Erik's comment, and slid two white ones into the pot. However, noticing Shannon's raise. Looking from his cards to the shades one her face, he shook his head. No good. He folded his hand, tapping the heel of his foot on the base of his chair. Hearing that Shannon was from Canada, he raised an eyebrow. "Do you have an Canadian accent?" he asked with a chuckle, casting his icy gaze at the girl.
moon
moon

Quester
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainykinz Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Can't read my, no he can't read my poker face 130511085352593168
Outfit

"Thanks," Eleanor said slowly. Poker was getting more confusing by the second. People do this for FUN? She couldn't imagine this being a leisurely activity. Seems like more of an intellectual challenge than a game. Well, the process is challenging, anyway. I'm pretty sure the winning part is just luck. Eleanor looked back at her cards, hoping they'd help clear it up somewhat. Nope. Erik explained the next part, and Eleanor shook her head. "I'll fold," she said quickly. Whatever that means. She wondered why she'd thought volunteering to play cards would be a good idea. Eleanor lost her train of thought when the other girl spoke. "Newfoundland? Like the dog?" she clarified, furrowing her eyebrows a bit. She'd heard about it briefly in geography, but her teachers had tended to focus more on the UK when they went into detail.

#ignorethebaby #ordon't #it'skindofadorbs
Rainykinz
Rainykinz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupperdoodle Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:31 am

Well, order didn't seem to matter now. Erik glanced at Shannon, his only opponent now. Well, at least someone wasn't afraid of a bad hand. "Pros by observation? Guess it's possible," he said, letting the questions be directed towards Shannon for now. Maybe she'd get distracted and not think about his every move. He picked up two green chips and tossed them in the center. That was a raise of twenty, which was good enough with this hand.
Lupperdoodle
Lupperdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next